Friday, July 4, 2008

Windblown


Usually, I think to myself, "Life totally blows me away". And usually it does.

After being in London for three weeks, I now consider myself a true Brit. Not only have I mastered the public transportation system and memorized the description of every stolen item in the British Museum (free entry!), I've also finished nearly half of "I Fought the Law", a commentary on British government and the absurd laws that Brits must follow in order to escape punishment. Of particular interest to me is a little something called an ASBO (not to be confused with ASDA, the cheapest place around to buy your groceries). According to the book I'm reading, these ASBOs seem to be quite frivolous- for example, you could get an ASBO for singing in your own home, or for being sarcastic to your neighbors when you are 82 years old, or for, coincidentally, misbehaving in ASDA.

Hearing about all of this ridiculousness happening in Britain makes me proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free- not like London, where I feel utterly trapped and smothered. And on this anniversary of our attainment of freedom from these dreadful Brits, I'd like to give a shout-out to all of the rich white men that wrote our Declaration of Independence while all of their wives were baking crumpets at home without the right to vote.

1 comment:

joey said...

Leading Lady!

I just discovered yr blog at my boring job!

Who the fuck is Shelley!? I'll kick her friggin' ass

-Marvin